Monday, January 14, 2008

Mixed Media Hearts

I just finished these art cards for a mixed media heart swap. I really enjoy creating images that incorporate love and hearts etc. While laying in bed yesterday morning I decided to use foil or metal on all of them. It's so much fun to get a brainstorm, kick into high gear and just whip out my vision. I've always loved the tin ornaments and retablos of the hispanic people of the southwest, so I thought I would work with some remotely similar images.


This one's called "Uncontrollable Love." We've all been there at least once. Now you know you have. Even if the other person isn't really reciprocating, it still counts.

This one is "Retablo Heart." I did a little research and found out that a true retablo must tell a story of thanks and have an image of the person in the story. Even though it doesn't follow those guidelines, I still like the similarity it shares with traditional hispanic tin art. My heart was made with metal aluminum duct tape.


I think this is a good rule of thumb for just about everyone to follow.


"Can't Buy Me Love"
This was made with a recycled playing card and the foil that comes on the chocolate coins at Chanuka. We're not Jewish, but, my kids love those chocolates and we always put some in our advent calender during the holidays as a treat. Yeah, well, okay... I like the chocolate too.




1 comment:

  1. Love your cards. I am so lucky to get to see them all in person. I love the explanation of them. They mean more now. Thanks for sharing them with the swap.

    ReplyDelete