Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Please welcome my new friends.

Perhaps you have noticed the newest addition on the side bar of my blog. Seven very cute, cuddly and full of personality creatures that I call Slumber Buddies. Where did they come from? While we were on vacation this summer in New York, my six year old, Colby, realized that he had forgotten his favorite teddy bear, Jackson. He was very upset and wouldn't go to sleep without some sort of animal to snuggle with and there were no stunt doubles available anywhere at the hotel we were staying at. What I did have was a small travel pillow and a sharpie... and "Vwala!", an idea was born. I drew eyes, a nose and some little teeth on the pillow case and suddenly Colby was happy as a clam with his new friend, which he decided to name "Guy". When we came home I set to work on the designs and now I'm full swing with a new company and all the goodies that go with it. I'm still making art of course, because... well, I can't help it, but, for now the Buddies are taking up much of my time. More on that process later.

I also joined the postcard group on mailartworld.com, which I am sad to say, I haven't had a second to do anything for. I cut out postcards last night, with the hope that if I have them laying around, that I'll pick them up and work on them while I'm watching tv or in a spare moment.

Recently I submitted some of my atcs to a collaborative book project that fellow art card enthusiast, Sal Scheibe put together called "Artist Trading Cards: The Best of IllustratedATCs.com 2007". I just recieved my copy of the book, which is being sold at
lulu.com. I'm so proud to be included in the book with so many other very talented people and I'm also very impressed with the overall quality of the book. On a side note, all the proceeds from the sale of the book are going to charity.

Another project on my plate these past few months is the completion of our basement finishing project. It's been a long process, and I've learned a great deal, but, thankfully, it's almost done. We hope to have the trim and carpet done in a couple of weeks. Wahoo!! My husband is calling it his "man cave." Sounds fine by me as long as I get to see him from time to time.

I've added a couple of new "places you gotta visit". Be sure to check out What's Up Roc's blog. This woman is seriously creative with a wonderful personality to go with it. She never ceases to amaze me with the incredible collage work that she does. We're not talking about pasting down a couple of elements and calling it done. She combines elements and creative techniques in a way that is fresh and fun. No matter what, I'll bet her work will get a chuckle out of you

Thanks for stopping by and have a wonderful week.

Here are a few pics from our vacation this summer. Hope you enjoy them.














1 comment: