Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Green Show


Some people are late bloomers. I'm one of them. After 35 years of painting and drawing, I finally have a painting in a show here in Denver. Not sure why it took me so long.

It was completely surreal walking into the gallery during the opening and seeing my piece up on the wall. I got a great location right next to the door as you enter the space and I thought I represented well with the other work on display. I didn't take best of show or even get an honorable mention, but, to me, it was amazing just being in the show.

The theme of the show is "The Green Show." Artists were to create pieces depicting what the color or the word meant to us. I have been experimenting with these circular shapes for a few years now, and so it just seemed natural for me to explore that more. They represent the earth, individuals, organisms or even cross cuts of trees. I wanted to stay with a positive feeling, thus the color choice (which seems a little off in these photos). Wendy says the color reminds her of watermelon. I like that. What the photos don't show is the texture I added with tissue and the newspaper swatches about earth day and being "green" under the paint. The word "green" is also peeking through on the lower left corner. A little detail I like to sneak in.


If you happen to be in Denver's Art District between now and May 24th, stop in at Core New Art Space and check out the show.



"Growth"

Acrylics and graphite on a reclaimed canvas
(in other words, I found it in a neighbor's trash)


This is a detail.

No comments:

Post a Comment